Adults with Cochlear Implants
Our partnership with Maine Medical Partners means we are available for a pre implant orientation session to answer questions, discuss concerns and help prepare adults for what to expect.
Post cochlear implant rehabilitation sessions ensure adults receive individualized aural rehabilitation from our team. We monitor your progress together and work closely with your audiologist to maximize your communication priorities and outcomes.
What is Aural Rehabilitation?
You received a cochlear implant and recently had it activated. Now you need to learn how to listen and understand all of the new sounds coming from your implant. Research has shown that adults make faster progress in their understanding of speech and sounds using a treatment called Aural Rehabilitation (Aural Rehab).
What is Aural Rehab (also called Auditory Therapy)?
In Aural Rehab, you will learn how to listen and understand the new sounds that come from your cochlear implant. Aural Rehab can improve your skills when talking with others. Improving these skills may help you feel more secure with your implant.
Aural Rehab includes exercises that help you:
- Understand the difference between sounds and whole words
- Understand new sounds that have not been heard before
- Read along and follow someone else’s speech while they read aloud
- Notice when you or someone you are talking to does not understand what is said
- Learn when to change your setting to improve your understanding, learn how to set up the phone to work with your implant
- Enjoy music
- Learn how your implant affects the people around you, and help your family and friends learn about your implant
- Make your speech more clear, learn and practice skills that will make you more comfortable when talking